Sunday, January 30, 2011

Admiration Narrative (Rough Draft 2) for ENG 1010: Freshman Composition - The Essay

1984 wasn’t necessarily a requirement, but reading was.  Even though I got to choose my own books that year, I still regarded them as another authoritative persecution.  Dramatically playing the victim of the “dictating education machine,” I begrudgingly read my chosen books.  Ironically, these books which were mostly about social injustices, represented nothing more to me than oppression, and I hardly paid them any attention.  It was my freshman year of high-school and all of the books I read that year would later become some of my favorites.

It wasn’t until I’d been through the laborious rungs of the social ladder that I began to understand George Orwell’s writings.  In my earlier career, a close friend suggested that I read A Clergyman’s Daughter, which is when I saw with clarity, the parabolic and thought provoking values of Orwell’s storytelling.  Being the son of a preacher, A Clergyman’s Daughter described a story somewhat familiar to me, but through a completely fresh perspective.  The book touched a nerve and challenged me to reconsider my ideas of religion, politics, and culture.  After contemplating this book over a lengthy period, I began to see my world a little differently, almost as if I had gained multiple perspectives to view the same idea.  I felt enlightened and it was a pleasant feeling.
               
It was as if someone had flipped a switch in my brain, because from that point on, Orwell’s works took on a whole new meaning.  I returned to my previous readings of 1984 and Animal Farm and saw for the first time that there was more than just the surface story.  Beneath the black print and white paper, there was an entire commentary on beliefs, social structures, individualism, community, motives, governments, honesty, obligations, integrity, among a slew of other topics.
               
I was in admiration of the timeless and ambiguous charm of Orwell’s writing.  The topics and ideas will remain significant throughout the existence of mankind.  The characters, societies and governments are identified in such a way that they could be projected to a limitless number of people, cultures, and political powers.  Orwell’s two best known works were written in the wake of World War II.  When Animal Farm was published many believed it was a blunt attack on the Soviet regime.  1984 was published shortly after and many believed it was a parable for the Nazi dictatorship.  Whether or not they were written about specific parties, both remain relevant and relatively well accepted as literary classics.
               
After reading several of his books, I noticed that my outlook of life started to change.  Perhaps I was already inclined, but Orwell’s writing prompted me to question myself and my surroundings.  I was inspired to release my “concrete” ideas and instead embrace the natural ebb and flow of change, perspective and contrast; to find joy in the constant flux of life.  I concluded to never solidly conclude again.  I realized that there can be several differing opinions to one subject, each with its own logic, and no single one is more correct than the other.  Orwell inspired me to release what I knew and instead, explore and attempt to relate to the unknown.  This outlook has, thus far, helped me to adapt to countless situations, places, and people.
               
After a six year communication hiatus, I finally reunited with my friend who had originally suggested A Clergyman’s Daughter.  Though we had grown, matured and uniquely experienced the highs and lows of life, we both had similar outlooks and ideas.  I can, with near certainty, attribute this alignment to our mutual affinity for Orwell’s writing.

I am amazed that the composition of words and concepts can have such an effective impact on a person’s life.  I am in complete admiration of George Orwell’s, writing style, introspective challenges, wit, political courage, and most of all, his storytelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment