Thursday, February 3, 2011

I Remember My First Best Friend for ENG 1010 - Freshman Composition: The Essay

Being a military family, we moved frequently.  Our moves were less neighborhood-to-neighborhood and more country-to-country.  This instability made it difficult to make lasting friendships.  My father eventually took reserve military status which allowed my family to settle in one place for an extended period.  We settled down in Sacramento, which is where I met Mikey Stanton, my first best friend.

Having recently graduated from seminary school, my father started a small church in Sacramento that met at a local college campus.  It took a while for the population to grow, but eventually there were several families in attendance, the Stanton’s being one of them.

After church, Mikey and I would roam the vacant college buildings, playing hide-n-seek, tag, freeze-tag, racing and occasionally making up our own games.  We would play and explore for hours and do our best to hide from our parents or pretend we didn’t hear them beckon when it was time to go, anything to extend our play time.

Eventually we began visiting each other’s homes.  We would play Sega Genesis, Transformers and G.I. Joe at the Stanton’s house and Ninja Turtles, harass my sisters, and attempt digging to China at mine.  LEGOs, Cartoons, and Soccer were played regardless of where we were.

Mikey and I attended different schools.  When school was in session, our friendship would slowly dissipate as we explored new and different friendships.  However, every summer, our friendship would re-kindle in full.

In fourth grade, my dad received a job offer in Wyoming.  We packed our things, loaded up a moving van and left.  Of all the things I left behind, I distinctly remember Mikey Stanton being the most difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment