Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I Remember... Favorite Toy for ENG 1010

I had several toys when I was a child.  I had stuffed animals, art supplies, LEGOs, action figures, matchbox cars, games and more.   As if that wasn’t enough, I would also consistently “borrow” my sister’s toys, often without asking.

I had toys that I bought with my allowance; however, most of my toys were gifts.  Usually, my favorite toys were gifts.  Sentimental value had little to do with my liking or disliking a toy, it usually came down to the fact that the toys I received as gifts were usually bigger and more expensive than the toys I was able to buy for myself.

One year for my birthday, my grandmother arrived at my party with a large box.  For a child, neither quality nor quantity can inspire anxiety quite the same as size.  I spent the entire party thinking about what could be in that large box.  When it came time to open presents, the large box was my first choice for unwrapping.  I quickly tore through the bright wrapping paper, pulled the tape off the seams and was astounded to see a big aircraft carrier nearly half my height.

Along with the aircraft carrier, came die cast metal airplanes on a scale relative to the carrier.  The boat also floated, so it doubled as a bath toy.  Unfortunately, the weight of the die cast airplanes made balancing the boat in the tub a tedious effort.

I was enthralled with my new toy.   I would place the aircraft carrier on the carpet, arrange the planes in different configurations and then “borrow” my mother’s camera to take pictures of the configurations I’d made.

I played with that aircraft carrier until the day that I caused a breach in the hull while in the tub.  I sunk the aircraft carrier and the plastic was beyond repair.  I was devastated.

My devastation didn’t last long, however, and I quickly resumed “borrowing” my sister’s toys.


No comments:

Post a Comment