Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I Remember... Most Interesting Dream

I think most dreams are interesting.  It’s difficult for me to say that any one dream is more interesting than another.  However, I do find it unusually interesting when dreams are recurring.

When I was younger, probably eight or nine, I had a dream that someone broke into my house while I was sleeping.  The intruder proceeded to slaughter my family in my house.  The slaughtering was anything but quiet and woke me (in my dream).  In a panic and flushed with fear, I ran out of my house and hid under our car parked in the cul-de-sac where we lived.  I crouched under the car with a pool of viscous oil soaking my pajamas, the brisk air cooling my fevered terror, and the foggy night air confining the yellow glow of the street lights.  I stayed under the car until all the screams stopped and then I waited longer, never daring to move a muscle.  After what seemed an eternity, the intruder walked out the front door and looked around as if he knew something had escaped; I knew he was looking for me.  He slowly walked toward the car, cautiously surveying the cul-de-sac for movement.  He walked right up to the car and stopped, bent over, saw me and gave me an evil grin.  And that’s when I woke up.

This dream was so vivid and frightening that I suspect it influenced other dreams of the same nature.  I never had the exact same dream, per-se, but I have had several dreams with the same scenes, characters, atmospheres, plots, and feelings.  Every time one of the aspects of this dream shows up in another dream, I am reminded of the originally dream which has stuck in my memory, vividly, since I was a child.

I’ve noticed a trend that the themes of this dream slowly occur less and less as I get older, but they still occasionally creep into my subconscious and remind me of one of the most horrific dreams of my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment