Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I Remember... First Kiss for ENG 1010

I was always an affectionate child and I’d like to think that my family was equally affectionate toward me.  I would imagine that I was kissed and hugged on a regular basis.
It wasn’t until I was nearly six years old that affection outside of my family even crossed my mind.  I lived in Sacramento with my family on a small cul-de-sac named Sinbad Court.  The cul-de-sac provided a safe environment and close, neighborly relationships.  The family directly across the cul-de-sac consisted of a mother, father, son and daughter.  The daughter was two years older than me, had brown hair, dark eyebrows, brown eyes and a nearly perfectly round face.  At six years old, I found myself with butterflies in my stomach whenever she was within eyesight.
One day, my sister and I were playing with Brandy (my earliest crush) and her brother Robert.  We were inside their house as the day was unbearably hot outside.  Robert and Brandy shared a room which was painted a dark blue and consisted of a bunk bed, two dressers and a closet that was filled with clothes.  

We decided to play hide-n-go seek and it was my turn to be “it”.  I stood in the hallway and counted to a pre-determined number, yelled “Ready or not, here I come!” and proceeded to hunt my friends.  The first place I looked was in Robert and Brandy’s closet which is where I found Brandy hiding.  In our rules of “hide-n-go seek”, the person who is “it” must find and then tag the person he/she found.  Instead of tagging Brandy, I decided to kiss her.  This unconventional “tagging” must have surprised her and I think it shocked me as well because neither of us moved for a long time.  The butterflies in my stomach fluttered with an increased anxiety and we both just stood there looking at each other awkwardly until Robert interrupted and demanded an explanation for why he hadn’t yet been found.

Outside of my family, that was my first kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment